Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Operation: Behind Enemy Lines

The following story is true. The names of the operatives involved have been changed to protect their identities for future missions. This will be my final write up on the goings-on that occurred this past weekend, 1-23-2010/1-24-2010.

This past weekend I took part in a very dangerous mission. About two weeks ago I received an urgent text with an offer I knew I couldn’t refuse. I placed a call to my team members but due to schedule conflicts and previous engagements they weren’t going to be able to make the trek. I still had every intention of going, even knowing that I would be with a brand new team and probably flying by the seat of my pants for most of the mission.

I made a call to my supervisor to make sure I had nothing else planned and that I had all the necessary papers. Five minutes later I had signed on for what will forever be known as Operation: Behind Enemy Lines.

With Little Pierogi and Dragon out of commission for this, I started to learn more about my new teammates, Aces and Creeper. They had gone on missions like this before, but never to such a hostile environment. It was going to be a complete war zone, and we had no idea what we would find when we arrived. Excitement coursed through my veins, mingling with the slight amount of fear that I just couldn’t shake. I don’t think even a seasoned veteran could say they had no fear. If so, they’re lying. But I digress…

At approximately 0900 hours on the twenty-third day of January 2010, I left my base camp and started the first leg of the journey. This 137 mile trip would land me at the rendezvous point to meet up with Ace and Creeper. Halfway there, I snapped a photo to keep in the mission log, and then within the edge of the green zone my schematics seemed to malfunction. I pulled into a vacant lot and tried to get in touch with my mates. Ace called me back almost immediately and talked me through the final twist and turns to get to their HQ.

After a short break, meeting the K9 members of their unit, Trixie, Mitzy and Brooks, and writing down a few last minute coordinates, we gathered all our gear together, stowed it in the cargo hold of our transport vehicle and set off for the final leg of the journey, the actual trip into enemy territory. A rucksack of rations was on the floor behind me, but we knew that we would need to stop somewhere for more liquids.

At 1400 hours the three of us agreed on a quick stop at a neutral check point. We were still far enough out that enemy forces weren’t everywhere, and we were able to blend in with the civilians since we were in camouflage and not our uniforms (we were saving those for tomorrow.).

Obtaining refreshments was a piece of cake, but when we tried to buy a much needed energy supplement, the machine refused to cooperate. There was obviously some foul play involved, and my guess was that enemy forces were already onto us, watching our movements. I just couldn’t prove it. Ace made a second attempt, but only managed to get the original package into the drop slot. Creeper went up to the machine and used what I can only assume were Jedi-like mind tricks to get things going. She took a breath and punched in 1-4-8 on the keypad and two packages fell into the slot. With our mini excursion finished we high-tailed it back to the transport. I took over the radio control operator position for a while as Ace continued in the pilot seat. Creeper stayed in the back, reading up on the enemy (fine, it was really just a normal book, but it’s more exciting this way*).

At 1430 hours we saw a sign that would lead to the base for our training unit. I would’ve loved to make a side trip and pick up some reinforcements, but hopefully Johnson was going to be enough for now. The rest of the main unit was healthy, but to me, one can never be too prepared.

Half an hour later we passed through the Lehigh Tunnel; closer and closer we were each minute to the war zone. We caught sight of the fortified base at 1630. A solid brick outer layer stared back at us. We slid by, unnoticed hopefully, and finally arrived at our temporary command post. Set among the rest of the buildings near the airport, it seemed like a good place to stay. Right in plain sight.

After checking in and bringing all our gear up to the room, we set out for some chow. The sentry at the front desk had offered up a ‘great place’ and we had agreed, hoping that it would help our cover. We honestly looked like innocent civilians, so I don’t’ think he knew our real purpose. Unless that’s why he had suggested the place. It was in the middle of downtown, what if it was a trap? Hunger won out the debate and we hopped back in the transport. I decided finally that while his intentions were good, he must’ve been a little skeptic, because the directions he gave us were bad. Perhaps he thought that we would give up. He didn’t know us very well.

Our meal was delicious, and afterwards, we got lost trying to get back to the command post. The enemy is very good at confusing you. They must set up their roads on purpose. Those from the area might get it, but we found ourselves going up and down streets… not to be swayed, we continued until we caught a lucky break and found the right route.

Getting back to command, we sat out on the landing, thinking perhaps the unit would be staying at the same place. It made the most sense. We stayed out there until 2200, hoping they’d sneak in. We did see one of the trainers, but no actual unit members… deciding to call it a night, we headed up to our room for a good night’s sleep before the insanity of battle the next day.

We woke up at 0700. Well, Creeper woke up, I didn’t rise until about 0720, and Ace refused to get up at all at first. She was the last one to bed last night though, staying up later on the computer, making sure things were ok on the front line, talking with other operatives, etc.

When the three of us were finally up and about, we donned our uniforms and a slight amount of war paint. What can I say, it never hurts to get a little dolled up* We checked out of the command post and packed everything up for a final time. We left for the enemy camp with haste, arriving there armed with only some Twizzlers and neon signs. We got by the sentries easily… by paying them off. $15 seemed like a small price to pay. And with the early arrival we were able to find a spot near the exit, in case we needed a quick escape after the battle was over.

Exiting the vehicle I scanned the area, seeing enemy operative after enemy operative. We were probably insane to take on this mission. We were going in there without any type of disguise. The enemy forces would know exactly who we were and why were there. Turning once more I saw a flash of black and some light blue. Could it be?? I yelled out a code phrase to see how they would respond. “Hey… PENGUIN PEOPLE!!” And held a hand up. They responded with hoots and laughs and motioned for us to join them. You seriously cannot imagine my relief to find friendlies so close to our flanks. It did a lot to boost morale and silence fear among our small team. Making our way to them, I kept an eye on the enemy the whole time, making sure none of them came at us.

After some idle chit chat with our newest comrades we all discussed where we would be stationed during the battle. It seemed as though we were spread out around the base, and this pleased me. It would be harder for the enemy’s forces to take us all out if we weren’t all together. I fetched my communicator out of my pocket and passed a look along to my teammates. We bid our allies farewell and snapped a final photo, in case any of them were lost during the fight.

Entering the war zone wasn’t as scary as we had thought it would be, and after getting bands that would allow us better access, we headed down to mingle among friend and foe. There were some members of each side inside already, and I was surprised that it was cadets instead of seasoned operatives that were starting trouble with us. (real good parenting)

We arrived at the neutral zone where we would stay until just before battle time. The first enemy agent stopped us there, but the twinkle in his eye told me that this man could be more than he seemed. We stood there, dealing with a slight interrogation, and I found myself smiling and laughing along with him. we were just getting ready to enter the room when Ace piped up with a “Hi Sid!” I turned and watched the captain of our platoon walk by with one of our snipers. I felt like it was going to throw up or pass out… so I dropped down into a crouch and glanced at Creeper. She seemed to be handling things about as well as I was.

I took a couple deep breaths and leaned my head back and almost bumped into one of our protectors. Skoula just laughed as I let out a gasp and tried to apologize. He just smiled calmly as Goose walked with him, laughing hysterically. I missed Cookie; he snuck by me on the other side. And one of the wingmen, Billy, sauntered by.

I was literally star struck I think. We’d had no idea that this mission would bring us in such close contact with the unit we’d come here to support. Our instructions for the mission were to cheer. To help keep morale up if the enemy took the lead. But being so close… the double agent, that’s the only way I can describe him, laughed at our enthusiasm.

We went to find a place to sit down and collect our thoughts. And pass on this amazing info the only way we could while being trapped in the war zone. Our communicators. As we sat there, gathering some sustenance before the battle, the double agent came over to us, with that twinkle still in his eye.

“Now, you didn’t hear this from me but,” he glanced around to make sure no one was listening and then leaned in close. “The cap’n and that sniper just went back through the doors, and I bet some of the others will be coming out again. They’ve got a pre-battle maneuver to run over before they suit up. If you were to come out, you might be able to get their attention, maybe get their signatures.” This sounded like a prime opportunity to see some of them up close, and it was an offer that I once again couldn’t resist.

Creeper and I glanced at one another and almost stepped over one another to get out to the area.

Billy came by with their training supplies in hand and Creeper got his attention because I was too excited. “Billy G,” she said in a high-pitched voice.
“Will you sign my jersey?”
“Sure.”
“Thank you Billy.”
“No problem.”
He signed my ticket and then I offered the use of my pen to another allied operative. A moment later, while talking to Creeper, Billy came over to me to hand me my marker.

One of our enforcers, Godsy, was the next man out. He was all smiles when we stopped him for a signature. But, like we’d expect anything else from him. Pretty sure he realized who I was, he did that head tilt thing that to me means ‘you look familiar but I’m not 100% sure why.”

Gronk saw the allied forces around and made a quick side step so that he wouldn’t have to deal with any of us. Shy misunderstood giant. Another defender, Eats, walked by. Creeper yelled out a “Good Luck Mark!” and he turned, a big smile on his face and thanked her. Then, after he’d gone through the doors he made a circle, possibly thinking of coming back out.

As Rupper went by for the maneuver Creeper said “Good luck Rupp!” and got no response. When he went back the other way, to suit up, she tried again with a “GOOD LUCK MIKE!” and he looked at her, chuckled and replied “Thank you.”

The sniper we’d seen early, the one who’d been injured in a recent battle, was walking toward the doors that would lead him to his armor. I wanted to wish him good luck, but I didn’t know if he was taking part in this battle. So, it came out more like this. “oh...uh... mmm... ugh... I hope you feel better soon Duper!" He smiled and said thanks. I thought he was through the doors and turned to Creeper and said "Wow, those were some tight shorts!" He wasn’t through the doors yet though… HA!! I swear, that man must think I’m a complete idiot.

As Adams was walking by I yelled out “Yeah Craig Adams” for Dragon and he laughed and shook his head. He loves the attention, don’t let him fool you.

One of our Russian operatives, known as Geno, was wandering by and I called out “Good luck today Geno!” and was gifted with a smile before he passed through the doors. To me, the mission was a success now because he was the last member of the platoon that I need to talk to/be acknowledged by!

Our mini escapade finished, we gathered our battle gear and headed up to find our seats. Creeper and Ace headed down to see the platoon up close once more as they warmed-up. I stayed behind to watch our things, and met an operative and his cadet. They had traveled from afar for the battle as well, and I couldn’t help myself. The cadet was so cute, and so enthusiastic in his love for our side… I traded tickets with him, giving him my Billy G signed version. Seeing the excitement on his face, and hearing the honest thanks from a fellow operative, I sat down, feeling calm and excited at the same time, happy with the deed I had just done.

I had seen the boys, met some allies, and now I knew that we were near some more allied forces. Today would be a good day. Ace and Creeper came back up and informed me that our ever-friendly sniper had seen Creeper and smiled and waved. I think they have to know us now! LOL

Three hours later the battle was over. We were victorious and we made our way back to our transport. After taking stock to make sure everything was okay, and no damage had been done to us or the vehicle, we started the drive back to their HQ. And I ended up at my home base slightly before 2300 hours Sunday night.

Our mission was a success, Operation: Behind Enemy Lines was hard fought and won, and now we’re in planning mode for another mission in the future, hopefully Dragon and Little Pierogi will be able to go on this next adventure.

Rebel Heart out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I came across your blog when I read about your Philly trip on Hockey for the Ladies. I'm one of the Pens fans you met before the game! I'm the girl in the black Crosby jersey and black Pens hat in our "group photo" lol. I sent a group picture to the Pensblog and they put it in their recap of the game too. Your signs were the best! So cool that you got up close and personal with the guys! Sounds like you had a great time, as did we! What a great win! It made getting out the arena much easier! I'm headed to another hostile environment next Sunday when I see the Pens take on the Caps in DC. Can't wait!
    Nice meeting you! Let's Go Pens! Woooo!
    April

    ReplyDelete